Legally Change My Name Nz

  • Post author:
  • Post category:Uncategorized

Home | Browse the topics | Individual rights and freedoms| Gender and sexuality | Changing sex characteristics and names If you changed your name through marriage or registered partnership, you can still travel with a passport to your original name or maiden name. You must book your tickets with the name on your passport. However, you can have your correct gender indicated on a Certificate of Identity or on a refugee travel document issued by Immigration NZ (but not your name until you have permanent residence). There are several reasons why you may want to change your name. This can be informal or formal. The Family Court rules on applications for a change of sex on your birth certificate. In the past, people who have not had surgery but have been taking hormones for a very long time have managed to apply for a change in their birth certificate, as have transgender men who do not intend to have “inferior” surgery. The Ministry of Health says you can change your preferred name and sex characteristics in the National Health Index (NHI). The INSA is an index that contains your identity information such as name, date of birth and gender. This information is used so that health care providers can identify you and make sure they are talking to the right person.

It is also used to allow healthcare providers to share information and maintain good medical records. You can apply for a new birth certificate on the name change form or apply for it later. The correct application form can be found on the Births, Deaths and Marriages website. The Change of Name Application Form is an affidavit. That is, when you and your parent or guardian sign the form, you declare that the information you have written is true and accurate and must be signed before a registrar, justice of the peace or attorney. In addition, you will have to pay a BDM fee. While you can change your name informally, you`ll still need to use your legal name for official things like bank accounts, a driver`s license, WINZ, and visa and passport applications. Otherwise, you may have problems and delays in sorting things out. Name changes are governed by the Registration of Births, Deaths and Marriages Act 1995.

After registration, BDM issues a birth certificate with the child`s full name. This is the official name of the child. In New Zealand, a child`s birth and name must be reported to Births, Deaths and Marriages, a ministry that keeps records of births, deaths, marriages, registered partnerships and name changes. Other countries will have their own laws on how a child`s birth is declared and how a child is named. The name on your passport must match the name on your tickets. People who apply for sex reassignment will be deemed “vulnerable” by the family court, meaning your application will not be publicly registered and will only be seen by people directly involved in the family court process. If you are married, in a registered partnership or in a common-law relationship, you can change your name without your parents` permission. Otherwise, each of your parents or guardians must sign an affidavit when applying. You will need to provide copies of 2 different documents containing your current name. These do not need to be certified or approved.

Accepted documents include: I took my new husband`s last name, Hutchison, after we got married in February and was surprised at how easy it is to change his name after getting married in New Zealand. It was so easy to change my name – for some reason, I thought that after using my paternal last name for 26 years, I would have become more attached to it! A woman changing her last name to reflect her husband`s is not the most feminist or avant-garde thing, but it was a personal choice. How do I change my name after marriage? To change your name (at least in New Zealand), you usually need to complete an affidavit. However, if you are getting married, this is only an option on the marriage registration form. For just $46, you can change your name from the wedding date (so don`t waste time and money filling out two separate forms). Use your married name Once you have changed your husband`s last name, this is your legal name and you can use it immediately. Of course, everything you have registered for (driver`s license, passport, bank accounts, etc.) will be in your old name. This is very important to keep in mind if you are planning your honeymoon immediately after the wedding, as you will need to book your flights in the name of your passport. However, there is another way to take your new name during your honeymoon – I will come back to that. You can choose when to update them all, which requires providing a copy of your marriage certificate. Visit the wedding planning page for an index of our content and if you haven`t already, check out the short wedding planner and newspaper white paper. When you get married, you don`t have to change your name by filling out forms.

You can immediately use your spouse`s surname. A marriage certificate or registered partnership certificate showing your spouse`s or partner`s last name can be used as proof of your new surname. However, you may need to obtain a new driver`s license and passport. If you get married or live with your partner, you have no control over your freedom to have the name of your choice. Some women choose to adopt their husband`s surname after getting married. However, there is no legal obligation to change your last name after marriage. You must provide a certified copy of one of the following documents, provided it includes your name, date and place of birth: You can name yourself or your child as you wish. However, births, deaths, and marriages (“BDMs”) may refuse to accept a name if it is too long, may reasonably offend, or resembles a title without good reason. You must use the Latin alphabet and you cannot use numbers or symbols. The NZTA deals with changes to your driver`s licence, including changing your name or gender on your driver`s licence.

You can change your gender in your passport and driver`s license database without going through medical treatment or court. All you need is a formal legal statement called an affidavit that you can make before any lawyer, justice of the peace or clerk. If you are under 18 and not married or in a registered partnership, you can change your name with the consent of your parent or guardian. In this case, you are the one making the affidavit, not you. If you got married or had a registered partnership in New Zealand and want to update your name on your marriage certificate or registered partnership, you can do so on your name change form. If you want, you can simply use a different name. However, if you are not satisfied with this, you can formally change your name through an affidavit. If you wish, you can be called something other than your official name. It`s not illegal to do this, even if your parents or guardians don`t like the name you`ve chosen. Change your name When do I register my child`s birth and name my child? Can I give my child a name or change my name? Can I be mentioned other than my official name? Can I use an unofficial name for official documents? Can I officially change my name? I am under the guardianship of the court or the MCOT, can I officially change my name? What documents do I need to sign to officially change my name? Do I have to officially change my name after my marriage if I am a woman? I am recently married and would like to use my spouse`s last name.

Can I do this or do I have to change my name legally? Parents can officially change the name of a child under the age of 18 who is not married or in a registered partnership. This is done through an affidavit. (The affidavit process is the same as changing your own name: see above.) Even after the birth certificate is issued, parents/guardians can add/remove or change the names that appear on the birth certificate until the child reaches the age of two. You usually don`t need to apply for a name change if you adopted your partner`s last name after a marriage or registered partnership, or if you want to reuse your maiden name (maiden name) after a divorce.